Please complete all three steps below.
Step 1: Complete online application
Click here to complete the New Student Application Form. Once you submit the application, you will see a prompt for online payment options and will then submit your application payment. This will be the last step of the online application. Steps 2 and 3 provide the information you need to create your admission packet that is to be mailed to the University. The mailing address is below.
Step 2: Prepare Essay Responses, Resume, Collect References and Transcripts
All applicants must complete this step! We cannot overemphasize the importance for including your full legal name on ALL essays and documents.
1. Essay 1: Choose one of the following essays. Your essay will be evaluated on content, organization, voice, grammar, spelling, and syntax.
Option 1: At Frontier Nursing University, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and cultural backgrounds. Please write a well-crafted essay describing what you as an individual would bring to our educational community, the advanced practice nursing profession, and the community you seek to serve. (500 word maximum)
Option 2: Please write a well-crafted essay describing a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered, either professionally or personally, and how you dealt with it. Identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the problem and any support person(s) from whom you sought advice. (500 word maximum)
2. Essay 2: Time Management Statement Essay: Graduate education is rigorous and demanding. For Frontier students full-time study requires a commitment of at least 40 hours per week while part-time study requires at least 30 hours per week. During the clinical portion of the program, students will be in the office or clinic on weekdays for 24 to 32 hours per week. Student nurse-midwives may need to be on call or be in the birth setting at all hours of the day and/or night. For more information, please review the FNU Catalog, “Clinical Experience Requirements.” All students will need to make adjustments to current work, recreation, and family life. It is important that you take time to consider how you will integrate graduate school, including clinical, into your current situation. Please write a well-crafted statement (200-300 words) about how you plan to fit the rigors and time commitment of graduate education into your life along with work and family.
3. Resume: Please prepare a resume that follows the example found here: Example Resume
4. Three (3) Health Professional References: Arrange for three health professional references who can speak to your ability/potential to serve as an advanced practice nurse (NP or CNM). Give or send the Professional Reference Evaluation Document to your three health care professional references. Have them return the forms to you in a sealed envelope. PLEASE do not open the envelopes. Please do not send more than 3 references. For the 3 references, 2 must be supervisory references. Some examples of supervisory are nursing supervisor, faculty from the applicant’s nursing school, an MD, CNM, NP, or PA who work with the applicant. One can be a professional peer.
5. Transcripts: Frontier Nursing University requires final and official transcripts from all previous attempted/completed nursing courses and nursing degrees. Transcripts for non-nursing degrees or courses are not required with the exception of applicants applying via the portfolio option. An applicant applying via the portfolio option must also provide an official baccalaureate transcript.
For a more rapid receipt of your transcript, we encourage official transcripts to be submitted electronically via Parchment, the National Clearinghouse or from the degree/course granting institution to firstname.lastname@example.org. If submitting transcripts electronically is not an option, transcripts should be mailed to the address listed below. In the event the transcripts are mailed to you, they should be forwarded to the FNU Admission Office. PLEASE do not open the envelopes—doing so will result in your transcripts becoming unofficial which will delay your application process. Official transcripts must be final and show your degree conferred date and name of the degree.
- Portfolio Instructions for Non-BSNs If your baccalaureate degree is in a discipline other than nursing you must submit a portfolio detailing your employment and academic experiences. Click here to download the portfolio instructions. MSN Completion If you’re a graduate of FNU’s Community-based Nurse-midwifery Education Program (CNEP) and completed your studies prior to 2004 before FNU became a master’s-granting institution, click here for the Online MSN Completion Application.
Step 3: Complete Application Packet
Admissions Packet Checklist. Please include ALL of the following items in your Admissions packet:
___ Essay #1
___ Essay #2
___ Reference #1
___ Reference #2
___ Reference #3
___ ALL Transcripts
Please pay close attention to the following:
- We cannot accept incomplete application packets. Your packet must contain all items listed on the Admissions Packet Checklist.
- You must be a registered nurse with a current, active license in the United States with no encumbrances.
- Please always utilize your legal name, as it appears on your Social Security Card, to align with federal guidelines.
- Check each document to ensure that your legal name is used on each document (e.g. resume, references, etc.).
Complete and send the packet to: Frontier Nursing University ATTN: Admissions Office 2050 Lexington Road Versailles, KY 40383 * All online applications and required packet materials must be received in the admission office by the close of business, 5:00 PM (EST), on the published deadline date. * Frontier does not acknowledge application materials by the postmark date.