Frontier Nursing University is thrilled to announce we are acquiring a new campus in Versailles, Kentucky. While we cherish our historical roots, we have reached a pivotal time in our 80-year history, recognizing change is needed in order to keep up with increased enrollment and meet the needs of our students. We are excited to continue fulfilling Mary Breckinridge’s vision of educating nurses to become competent, entrepreneurial, ethical and compassionate nurse-midwives and nurse practitioners in order to improve health outcomes for mothers, babies, and families in rural and underserved areas, now from this new campus location.
Take a look at some of the details below:
- Where: The 67-acre Versailles, Kentucky campus will remain in a rural county while also being conveniently located less than 10 minutes from the Lexington Bluegrass Airport and accessible from major highways.
- When: Administrative staff moved into temporary offices on the Versailles campus in summer 2018, and renovations have been ongoing. Due to COVID-19, we have experienced delays in our transition of student events to the Versailles campus. Current projections are that student events will be held on the Versailles campus in late 2021.
- Why: While we cherish and honor our historical roots, we recognize change is needed in order to continue to advance and lead the way in nursing and midwifery education. The Hyden, Ky., campus reached its maximum capacity for enrollment, and traveling to Hyden presented many challenges. The Versailles campus will allow FNU to continue to expand our enrollment and program offerings in order to meet the growing demand for access to quality healthcare nationwide, especially in rural and underserved areas.
New Campus Features:
- Approximately 85 offices will allow FNU staff to be centralized on one campus
- Dorms to accommodate up to 90 people
- On-site faculty and staff housing for 18
- Modern dining hall that can accommodate approximately 120 people
- Expanded education and simulation facilities
- Large auditorium for events and presentations
- Walking trails located around the campus
- Fitness center for students, staff and faculty
- Gift shop to purchase FNU merchandise
- Proximity to restaurants and shopping opportunities in Versailles and Lexington
- Historic house built in 1854 in the center of campus
- 6 miles from the Lexington Bluegrass Airport
A Message from Our President
“Frontier Nursing University’s vision for the Versailles campus is to permanently establish the university as a national leader in distance learning for advanced nursing and midwifery education. The move was a difficult decision for us because we highly value the legendary history of our roots in Leslie County, Kentucky. Our mission to care for rural and underserved populations will not change, and the traditions we carry in our hearts will live on at the new campus.
The Versailles campus will allow us to expand enrollment and pass on our founder Mary Breckinridge’s vision and values to more nurse-midwives and nurse practitioners. Our students will benefit from improved technology and program offerings that meet the growing demand for quality healthcare nationwide. In addition to hosting students, the new campus will be used as a national primary care and women’s health think tank for gathering nursing and midwifery leaders.
We hope you’ll join us in celebrating this “New Frontier” as we carry on the legacy of our past with excitement for a bright and innovative future.
– Dr. Susan Stone
President, Frontier Nursing University
Frontier Nursing University (FNU) is excited to share this spring’s Circle of Caring winners. The University’s Circle of Caring Award recognizes FNU faculty and staff members who go above and beyond … [Read More...]
As everyone knows, 2020 was an incredibly eventful and often stressful year. With the pandemic, social justice and reform, and a volatile political climate, it was a year unlike any in recent … [Read More...]
In memory of our dear friend, Jan Weingrad Smith, Ph.D., CNM, MPH, Frontier Nursing University in collaboration with Jan's daughter, sister and father are creating a scholarship to be awarded to a … [Read More...]