Applicants must meet the following criteria for admission to Frontier Nursing University’s MSN Program:
- Be a registered nurse with educational preparation from a regionally accredited institution whose nursing programs are accredited through ACEN or CCNE at the time of graduation. To check your program's accreditation, please visit the U.S. Department of Education accreditation site.
- Registered nurses with a baccalaureate or higher degree in nursing will be considered for admission to the MSN Program.
- Registered nurses without a baccalaureate or higher degree in nursing, who have graduated from a diploma or associate degree nursing program and have a bachelor’s degree in another discipline, will be considered for admission to the MSN Program with the additional requirement of a portfolio of relevant employment and academic experience.
- Registered nurses who have an Associate Degree in Nursing but no baccalaureate degree in any discipline will be considered for admission via the ADN Bridge Entry Option. (To view the admissions requirements for the Bridge entry option, please click here.)
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 from the most recent degree (nursing or related field) earned.
- Be a registered nurse with a current, active license in the United States with no encumbrances. If assignment to a clinical practice site requires that the student practice in another state, then the student is required to meet licensing requirements according to statutes and obtain the appropriate license.
- Have one year of Registered Nursing Experience. For RNs with less than one year of RN experience, the Admissions Committee may consider other significant experience in health care including working as a doula, childbirth educator, and/or lactation consultant.
- Applicants whose primary language is not English and/or who have completed their tertiary education (level equivalent to U.S. college or university) in a non-English speaking institution, must take the internet based TOEFL (IBT) and achieve the following minimum scores: Reading 22, Listening 22, Speaking 26, and Writing 24. To be considered official, test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to the University. Frontier Nursing University's TOEFL code is 5692. Please provide this code to TOEFL when taking the exam to ensure test results are expedited to the University.
STATISTICS AND PHYSICAL ASSESSMENT
Statistics and Physical Assessment (PA) are not included as core courses on the programs of study but are course requirements.
- Applicants having successfully completed statistics (within 10 years of beginning coursework with FNU) and/or PA are not required to take these courses with FNU.
- Applicants who have NOT successfully completed statistics (within 10 years of beginning coursework with FNU) and/or PA will have these course(s) incorporated into their program of study and will take these courses at FNU.
Physical Assessment – Must be a three (3) credit course. Physical assessment content integrated into other courses will NOT meet FNU requirements.
Statistics – The course must be taken at a regionally accredited institution of higher learning at the undergraduate or graduate level, or the applicant has achieved a score of ≥3 on an Advanced Placement Statistics exam. The course must include all concepts listed here.
Please submit transcripts, as part of your admissions packet, for verification that stats and/or PA meet FNU requirements.
Applicants who meet the minimum requirements are evaluated individually. The FNU Admissions Committee makes all admission decisions.
Applicants with questions regarding their qualifications for admission to FNU should contact an FNU Admissions Officer at email@example.com.