Step 1: Prepare Essay Responses and Resume
All applicants must complete this step! We cannot overemphasize the importance for including your full legal name on ALL essays and documents.
- Essay 1: Goal Statement Essay: Please write a well-crafted statement about your desire to become a nurse-midwife, family nurse practitioner or a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner. Include information about yourself and your professional goals as a nurse-midwife or nurse practitioner. Please limit response to 300-500 words.
- Essay 2: Time Management Statement Essay: Graduate education is rigorous and demanding. For Frontier students full-time study requires a commitment of at least 40 hours per week while part-time study requires at least 30 hours per week. During the clinical portion of the program, students will be in the office or clinic on weekdays for 24 to 32 hours per week. Student nurse-midwives may need to be on call or be in the birth setting at all hours of the day and/or night. For more information, please review the FNU Catalog, “Clinical Experience Requirements.” All students will need to make adjustments to current work, recreation, and family life. It is important that you take time to consider how you will integrate graduate school, including clinical, into your current situation. Please write a well-crafted statement (200-300 words) about how you plan to fit the rigors and time commitment of graduate education into your life along with work and family.
- Resume: Please prepare a resume that follows the example found here: Example Resume
Step 2: Complete Application Packet
Please include ALL of the following in the packet:
- Three (3) Professional References: Arrange for three professional references. Give or send the Professional Reference Evaluation Document to your three professional references. Have them return the forms to you in a sealed envelope. PLEASE do not open the envelopes. Please do not send more than 3 references. For the 3 references, 2 must be supervisory references. Some examples of supervisory are nursing supervisor, faculty from the applicant’s nursing school, an MD, CNM, NP, or PA who work with the applicant. One can be a professional peer.
- Transcripts: Request official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning previously attended to be sent to you in sealed envelopes. PLEASE do not open the envelopes—doing so will result in your transcripts becoming unofficial which will delay your application process. Official transcripts must be final and show your degree conferred date and name of degree.
- Goal Statement Essay
- Time Management Statement Essay
- Copy of RN License, current state ARNP Licensure and Certification
Please pay close attention to the following:
- We cannot accept incomplete application packets, including three (3) references and all official transcripts from previous schools
- You must be a registered nurse with a current, active license in the United States with no encumbrances
- Please always utilize your legal name, as it appears on your Social Security Card, to align with federal guidelines
- Check each document to ensure that your legal name is used on each (e.g. resume, references, etc.)
- All application packets must be received in-house by the published deadline date. Items that have been postmarked by the deadline date and received afterwards will not meet the deadline requirement.
Complete and send the packet to:
Frontier Nursing University
PO Box 528
195 School Street
Hyden, KY 41749
Step 3: Complete online application
Click here to complete the New Student Application Form. Once you submit the application, you will see a prompt for online payment options and will then submit your application payment. This will be the last step of the online application.