“And just as I cannot name all the hundreds of our couriers, nurses, secretaries-not even some young things who worked directly for me, not even some of the very best of them-so I cannot name all the hundreds of people who have served the Frontier Nursing Service on its committees beyond the mountains, or the thousands whose donations have kept us going. These friends have carried us through thick and thin, with more thin than thick. Not once during the first twenty-five years of our existence did we have money in the bank to meet our obligations three months ahead of when they were due. Rarely have we had money even one month ahead, but I always knew that our friends would never let us fall into the dregs of dissolution. And they never did.”
– Mary Breckinridge, Wide Neighborhoods, Chapter 34
Since its inception, Frontier Nursing University has relied on the generosity of its supporters to fund its programs. The lives of untold thousands of mothers and children have been touched by nursing and medical care supported through the gifts of our donors. Hundreds more have seen their dreams of graduate nursing education fulfilled as a result of scholarships seeded through gifts to the Service. Indeed, the work of Frontier Nursing University, even today, could not continue without the support of our donors.
There are many ways you can support FNU. Gifts ranging from donations for operations to trust instruments to testamentary gifts each provide much needed support for our work. Some of the more common methods are:
- Annual Fund Donations: Gifts may be made by check or credit card and can support the general operations of FNU, or be restricted to particular programs. Use our secure online giving form to make your gift today.
- Stock Gifts: You can donate your appreciated stock directly to FNU.
Charitable Remainder Trusts: These gift instruments allow you and/or your loved ones to benefit from monies placed in the trust during your/their lifetime. Upon the death of the named beneficiary, the remaining balance in the trust is transferred to FNU.
- Perpetual Income Trusts: These gift instruments allow the income from monies you place in trust to benefit FNU in perpetuity. The principal of your gift remains intact for the life of the trust, and the income it generates is transferred periodically to FNU.
- Life Insurance: You can name FNU as the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, or transfer ownership of the policy directly to FNU.
- Charitable Gift Annuity: You can give a one-time gift to FNU in exchange for fixed, recurring payments over the balance of your life. Upon your death, the balance of your original gift is maintained by FNU for its general use.
- Testamentary Gifts: You may make provision in your will to provide a specific bequest to FNU, or provide for some or all of your remaining estate to be given to FNU upon your death.
Each of these gift avenues has specific tax implications. Please contact your attorney or financial advisor for further information. For additional information on making a gift to FNU, please contact our development team: