at the Historic Headquarters of Frontier Nursing Service in Wendover, Kentucky.
132 FNS Drive • Wendover, KY 41775
(606) 672-2317 • email@example.com
Are you are looking for a place to relax and unwind? Wendover is the place for you. This two-story rustic log home nestled near Kentucky’s Appalachian region is the perfect get away. We also invite you to connect with the rich history of Frontier Nursing University while you’re here.
Wendover is steeped with tradition from its displays of heroine nurses to its cozy fireplace. Guests travel from all over the United States to be a part of this historical and inspiring experience.
The beautiful log home, known as the Big House, was built in 1925 by Pioneer nurse-midwife, Mary Breckinridge, founder of the Frontier Nursing Service (FNS). When it was completed in 1925, Mrs. Breckinridge held an open house and invited everyone in Leslie County to come and be a part of the celebration. To Mrs. Breckinridge’s surprise, nearly 500 people showed up, the majority of them on horseback. The Big House became a National Historic Landmark in 1991.
The Wendover Bed & Breakfast and Retreat Center has a total of 17 guest rooms in The Big House, The Garden House, The Barn & The Cottage.
The Big House
- The Queen’s Room was the bedroom of Mr. Clifton Rodes Breckinridge from 1925-1932 ( Mrs. Breckinridge’s father) It was a room fit for a queen. With a dresser from the late 1800’s, and a large cedar-lined closet, you will feel like royalty! This room also has a great view of the Middlefork of the Kentucky River. The new King bed makes this room ideal for couples. The attached sitting porch is a great place to unwind and read a good book!
- The Twin Room features two twin beds
- The Staff Room features one twin bed. It was once the place Mrs. Breckinridge took care of her staff when they were ill. Sometimes staff stayed here on vacation. Guests will enjoy a picturesque view of the Middle Fork of the Kentucky River from this room.
- The Mary Breckinridge Room is Mrs. Breckinridge’s bedroom with a queen bed, antique desk and a travel trunk actually used by her.
There are two shared restrooms for the guest rooms in the Big House.
The Wendover Barn
One Apartment & Four Rooms
The Wendover Barn at one time was where FNS horses were kept. Today it also serves as the home of our Gift Shop and historic photo & artifact gallery. Our guests love browsing the Wendover gift shop looking at Frontier Nursing memorabilia and crafts made by local artisans.
- Wendover Barn Apartment is perfect for families with a queen-size bed in the Master Bedroom, a private bath and a pull-out bed in the living room sofa.
- Barn Double Rooms: The second floor of the Wendover Barn contains four rooms with two twin beds each. There are two shared restrooms for the guest rooms in the Wendover Barn.
The Garden House
One Suite & Six Rooms
- The Garden House once served as the administrative headquarters of the Frontier Nursing Service. Staff offices are still located on 1st floor.
- Garden House Suite: This suite comes with a queen-size bed, private bath and private sitting room.
- Garden House Guest Rooms: There are six guest rooms on the second floor of the Garden House, 1 room with a full bed and 5 rooms with a single twin bed. These rooms continue to serve as the official lodging for Frontier Nursing University’s Courier Program Internship. There is one shared bathroom for the guest rooms in the Garden House.
Three Guest Rooms
The Cottage was built by the Frontier Nursing Service in 1970. The first resident was Nancy Dammann. She was a Courier (1941), decorated WWII veteran, author of four books including Social History of Frontier Nursing Service (1982) and a local bookstore owner in Hyden. She moved to Arizona when she retired. Over the years, many FNS staff members have lived in this picturesque mountain home.
Now it’s the perfect place for a family get away and features a King bed with private bath in the master bedroom, two bedrooms with two twin beds in each and a shared bathroom. In addition, it has a pull out sofa bed in the full size living/dining room, fireplace, full size kitchen and laundry room. The porch is a great place to relax in a rocking chair and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
Wendover is the perfect place to plan your next company meeting or retreat!
The Livery is a restored workshop that now serves as a conference center. This site is ideal for meetings, retreats and reunions. With its rural setting and majestic view of the Appalachian Mountains from the front porch, gatherings will never be the same again!
The Livery meeting space can accommodate 35 participants and is equipped with video conferencing equipment, teleconference abilities and Wifi access. A small kitchen allows groups to accommodate refreshment breaks or enjoy full meals. Alternately, meeting participants may make meal reservations at the Big House Dining Room.
- Wifi Access: All rooms in the Wendover Bed & Breakfast Inn have free wireless internet access.
- Complimentary Breakfast: Your stay at the Wendover Bed & Breakfast includes a hearty country breakfast served in the “Dogtrot” Dining Room of the Big House.
- Optional Lunch or Dinner: Our delicious home-cooked lunch is only $12 per person and dinner is available for $18 per person. This price includes a beverage and dessert. Please let us know if you would like this option upon making your reservation.
- Fireplace: The Big House contains a historic fireplace in the living room that guests are invited to enjoy by request.
A credit card is needed to secure your reservation. Your card will not be charged at the time you submit your reservation. Contact Wendover Bed & Breakfast and Retreat Center at (606) 672-2317 to make your reservation or check availability below.
Big House Rooms
$75 for Single Occupancy
$85 for Double Occupancy
Wendover Barn Apartment with Private Bathroom
$100 (double Occupancy)
$10 for each additional person
Wendover Barn Double Rooms
$50 for Single Occupancy
$60 for Double Occupancy
Garden House Guest Rooms
$50 for Single Occupancy
Garden House Suite with Private Bathroom
$75 for Single Occupancy
$85 for Double Occupancy
$185 per night
“Peaceful and cozy, the breakfast was amazing!” Emily V. Holladay, UT
“Magical Place to stay” Karolina P. Fairbanks, AK
“Country Breakfast fit not just for a King but for the whole kingdom” Southern Living Magazine
With advance notice, we can arrange exciting individual and group guided tours of the historic headquarters of the Frontier Nursing Service at Wendover and Frontier Nursing University (FNU) for no additional cost.
Your tour includes:
- Stories from the rich heritage of the Frontier Nursing Service
- A visit to the Wendover Photo Gallery/gift shop located in the Barn
- A viewing of the Forgotten Frontier, a film made by Mary Breckinridge’s cousin, Marvin Breckinridge in 1930
- A visit to Mary Breckinridge’s home, the Big House
- A delicious home-cooked lunch in the Dog Trot Dining room of the Big House and a relaxing stroll down Joey’s Trail – the price for lunch is $12 per person and we can accommodate groups of all sizes
- A short drive up Hospital Hill for a tour of the former Hyden Hospital location, which is now the home of Frontier Nursing University (FNU)
- A view of FNU’s historic campus which includes: the St. Christopher’s Chapel featuring a restored 15th century French stained glass window, and the Haggin Dorm with a brick from Florence Nightingale’s home located on the second floor