at the Historic Headquarters of Frontier Nursing Service in Wendover, Kentucky.
Wendover Bed and Breakfast Inn • 132 FNS Drive • Wendover, KY 41775
(859) 899-2707 • email@example.com
Are you are looking for a place to relax and unwind? The Wendover Bed & Breakfast Inn is the place for you. This two-story rustic log home nestled near Kentucky’s Appalachian region is the perfect get away. We also invite you to connect with the rich history of Frontier Nursing University while you’re here.
Our licensed Bed & Breakfast Inn is steeped with tradition from its displays of heroine nurses to its cozy fireplace. Guests travel from all over the United States to be a part of this historical and inspiring experience.
The beautiful log home, known as the Big House, was built in 1925 by Pioneer nurse-midwife, Mary Breckinridge, founder of the Frontier Nursing Service (FNS). When it was completed in 1925, Mrs. Breckinridge held an open house and invited everyone in Leslie County to come and be a part of the celebration. To Mrs. Breckinridge’s surprise, nearly 500 people showed up, the majority of them on horseback. The Big House became a National Historic Landmark in 1991.
The Wendover Bed and Breakfast Inn has 19 guest rooms: four rooms in the Big House, a suite and six single rooms in the Garden House, four double rooms and one apartment in the Wendover Barn and three double rooms in the Cottage.
The Big House
- The Queen Room has a queen-size bed with a painting of Mrs. Breckinridge’s Grandfather, John C. Breckinridge above the headboard. An attached sitting porch is a great place to grab a book and unwind.
- The Twin Room features two twin beds and a collection of antique books.
- The Staff Room was once the place Mrs. Breckinridge took care of her staff when they were ill. Sometimes staff stayed here on vacation. Guests will enjoy a picturesque view of the Middle Fork of the Kentucky River from this room.
- The Mary Breckinridge Room is Mrs. Breckinridge’s bedroom. Copies of her nursing diplomas and several of her pictures adorn the walls.
There are two shared restrooms for the guest rooms in the Big House.
The Wendover Barn
One Apartment & Four Rooms
The Wendover Barn at one time was where FNS horses were kept. Today it also serves as the home of our Gift Shop and historic photo gallery. Our guests love browsing the Wendover gift shop looking at Frontier Nursing memorabilia and crafts made by local artisans.
- Wendover Barn Apartment is perfect for families with a queen-size bed in the Master Bedroom, a private bath and a pull-out bed in the living room sofa.
- Barn Double Rooms: The second floor of the Wendover Barn contains four rooms with two twin beds each. There are two shared restrooms for the guest rooms in the Wendover Barn.
The Garden House
One Suite & Six Rooms
- The Garden House once served as the administrative headquarters of the Frontier Nursing Service.
- Garden House Suite: This suite comes with a full-size bed, private bath and private sitting room.
- Garden House Guest Rooms: There are six guest rooms on the second floor of the Garden House, each with a single twin bed. These rooms continue to serve as the official lodging for Frontier Nursing University’s Courier Program Internship. There is one shared bathroom for the guest rooms in the Garden House.
Three Guest Rooms
The Cottage was built by the Frontier Nursing Service in 1970. The first resident was Nancy Dammann. She was a Courier (1941), decorated WWII veteran, author of four books including Social History of Frontier Nursing Service (1982) and a local bookstore owner in Hyden. She moved to Arizona when she retired. Over the years, many FNS staff members have lived in this picturesque mountain home. It is currently being renovated and will be listed on AirBnB when renovations are complete in 2017.
Wendover is the perfect place to plan your next company meeting or retreat!
The Livery is a restored workshop that now serves as a conference center. This site is ideal for meetings, retreats and reunions. With its rural setting and majestic view of the Appalachian Mountains from the front porch, gatherings will never be the same again!
The Livery meeting space can accommodate 35 participants and is equipped with video conferencing equipment, teleconference abilities and Wifi access. A small kitchen allows groups to accommodate refreshment breaks or enjoy full meals. Alternately, meeting participants may make meal reservations at the Big House, Wendover.
- Wifi Access: All rooms in the Wendover Bed & Breakfast Inn have free wireless internet access.
- Complimentary Breakfast: Your stay at the Wendover Bed & Breakfast includes a hearty country breakfast served in the “Dogtrot” Dining Room of the Big House.
- Optional Lunch or Dinner: Our delicious home-cooked lunch is only $12 per person and dinner is available for $18 per person. This price includes a beverage and dessert. Please let us know if you would like this option upon making your reservation.
- Fireplace: The Big House contains a historic fireplace in the living room that guests are invited to enjoy by request.
All Reservations must be made at least 48 hours prior to arrival. This policy is to ensure that adequate staff is available. A credit card is needed to secure your reservation. Your card will not be charged at the time you submit your reservation. Contact Wendover Bed & Breakfast Inn at (859) 899-2707 to make your reservation.
Big House Rooms
$75 for Single Occupancy
$85 for Double Occupancy
Wendover Barn Apartment with Private Bathroom
$100 (double Occupancy)
$10 for each additional person
Wendover Barn Double Rooms
$50 for Single Occupancy
$60 for Double Occupancy
Garden House Guest Rooms
$50 for Single Occupancy
Garden House Suite with Private Bathroom
$75 for Single Occupancy
$85 for Double Occupancy
“Peaceful and cozy, the breakfast was amazing!” Emily V. Holladay, UT
“Magical Place to stay” Karolina P. Fairbanks, AK
“Country Breakfast fit not just for a King but for the whole kingdom” Southern Living Magazine
- Guests can stay a maximum of three nights.
- All Reservations need to be made at least 48 hours prior to arrival. This policy is to ensure that adequate staff is available.
- All Parking is restricted to the guest parking area called Pig Alley at the entrance of Wendover.
- No pets are allowed on the Wendover grounds.
- No smoking is allowed inside Wendover buildings
- All alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited on Wendover property.
- Check-in Time: 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Please contact the Inn if your arrival will be later.
- Check-out Time: 11:00 AM. All late check-outs will be charged for an additional day.
- Breakfast is served at 8:00 AM promptly.
- Phone service is limited to outgoing local calls or calls made with a calling card (cell phone service is very limited).
- All Wendover Lodging and Meals have a 48-hour cancellation policy. Cancelling after this deadline for Wendover Lodging will require a one night charge to your credit card. Cancelling after this deadline for Wendover meals will result in the full price of the meal being charged.
- No weapons or firearms of any type are allowed on Wendover property.
With advance notice, we can arrange exciting individual and group guided tours of the historic headquarters of the Frontier Nursing Service at Wendover and Frontier Nursing University (FNU) for no additional cost.
Your tour includes:
- Stories from the rich heritage of the Frontier Nursing Service
- A visit to the Wendover Photo Gallery/gift shop located in the Barn
- A viewing of the Forgotten Frontier, a film made by Mary Breckinridge’s cousin, Marvin Breckinridge in 1930
- A visit to Mary Breckinridge’s home, the Big House
- A delicious home-cooked lunch in the Dog Trot Dining room of the Big House and a relaxing stroll down Joey’s Trail – the price for lunch is $12 per person and we can accommodate groups of all sizes
- A short drive up Hospital Hill for a tour of the former Hyden Hospital location, which is now the home of Frontier Nursing University (FNU)
- A view of FNU’s historic campus which includes: the St. Christopher’s Chapel featuring a restored 15th century French stained glass window, and the Haggin Dorm with a brick from Florence Nightingale’s home located on the second floor